have 24 years of public service and have served on 15 boards, commissions, committees and task forces (see details below). I’ve served 16 years on City Council, including three terms as president.
I genuinely care about the welfare of Bloomington; the city that I love and have called home for 34 years. I regularly meet with neighborhood associations and constituents to keep in touch with the concerns and needs of District 4.
Integrating economic vitality with social well-being and environmental integrity is my campaign foundation and the theme of my years of service on Bloomington City Council. Guided by sustainability, I helped develop a robust local economy with a vibrant downtown while strengthening neighborhoods, protecting our environment and providing citizens of Bloomington with a high quality of life. I am proud of our amazing city and energized to continue my work for a Sustainable Bloomington. Over the past decade and a half, my willingness to tackle difficult issues demonstrates my commitment to preserving the unique character of our community.
My experience includes Boards and Commissions:
- The Planning Commission
- The Utilities Service Board
- The Commission on Sustainability (created, and served as 1st Chair; 14-year member).
- The Environmental Commission (Chair,8-year member)
- City of Bloomington Economic Development Commission
- The Bloomington Economic Development Corp.
- The Board of Parks Environmental Resources Advisory Committee (15-year member)
- Jack Hopkins Social Services Committee
- The City Council Sidewalk Committee (Chair, 12-year member)
- Sustainability Commission/Environmental Commission/Greenhouse Gas Emissions Subcommittee.
- City of Bloomington PCB Cleanup Advisory Committee
- Parks & Recreation Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee
Created Special Purpose Taskforces:
- City of Bloomington Peak Oil Task Force (Sponsor/Chair) To reduce community dependency on oil due to climate impacts and depletion.
- City of Bloomington Platinum Biking Task Force (Sponsor/Chair) To achieve the highest status of community recognition by the American League of Bicyclists.
- Joint City of Bloomington/Monroe County Deer Task Force (Sponsor/Chair) To evaluate deer impact on our community.
I authored the amendment to the 2002 Growth Policies Plan (GPP) to include the concept of sustainability as an integral component of the GPP’s Policy Essence (pg. 19 of the 2002 City of Bloomington Growth Policy Plan).
This began the policy shift to Sustainability by our city government that is now a guiding principle within our Comprehensive Plan and city departments.